The Child Development Associate (CDA) is a nationally recognized credentialing program.
It is a competency-based credential awarded to individuals who work with young children, both as Family Child Care Providers or center-based staff and have met all of the requirements outlined by the Council for Professional Recognition.
The State of New Jersey, Department of Children and Families (licensing agency) recognizes the credential as equivalent to the Group Teacher certificate.
This course consists of 135 training hours, with no fewer than 10 hours in each of the following content areas:
- Planning a safe, healthy, learning environment
- Steps to advance children’s physical and intellectual development;
- Positive ways to support children’s social and emotional development;
- Strategies to establish productive relationships with families;
- Strategies to manage an effective program operation;
- Maintaining a commitment to professionalism;
- Observing and recording children’s behavior; and
- Principles of child development and learning.
Community Child Care Solutions offers two options for CDA training opportunities: a classroom based class or an E-learning, online based class.
Community Child Care Solutions is offering the non-credit course at a cost of $1,000. Payment may be made in full at the time of registration or in 4 quarterly payments of $250.00.
The course is a 10 month program. Participants can obtain 135 hours of formal training.
Yes, but you must make them up at your expense.
You will need to pay a $425.00 assessment fee when you submit your application to The Council for Professional Recognition. This is the agency that will award you your CDA credential. You will submit your application to the Council at the completion of the course.
Look on the NJ Workforce Registry website for current scholarship information.
As of June 1st, 2013, the Council for Professional Recognition no longer requires CEU’s for CDA renewal. For more information regarding CDA renewal visit the Council for Professional Recognition’s website.